Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Birchbox - August 2013 - Open Box

Hi friends,
 
It's that time of the month when I reveal the contents of my new Birchbox!
This August 2013 box is a hit for me, I think this is one of the few times I have received a box with everything to my liking (except for the big mistake at the end - read on!) Check it out!
 
 
This month's theme is FINISHING SCHOOL
 
Don't you just live that Tiffany Blue Box?

 



There's even a 20% off coupon to Ann Taylor (when you buy 1 item and 30% off when you buy two items!)
Very neat!
 

So without further ado, let's get started with the contents!


 ******** Birchbox - August 2013 ********
 



Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo - $14


 
From the BB Site: "The undisputed ruler of the curl universe, Miss Jessie’s developed this silky shampoo for girls with stubborn ringlets, natural kinks, or parched hair [  ] it’s great for hair of all types and textures. It instantly detangles even the most intricate knots, leaving your strands sleek and uber-manageable. "
 
Now, here is a shampoo I am actually excited about as it seems to be targeting my type of hair. It's just funny to me how we have two ends of the same spectrum now: on one side, the anti suds believers (Wen Shampoos) and now the "super sudsy" shampoos! What is one to do?
 
 
Coastal Scents Eye Shadow - Starry Night - Under $10
 
 
 


I have heard of Coastal Scents from other bloggers and on You Tube, but never really looked into their products. Because my August Birchbox card was only printed on one side, I had to go to the original products sites to check out their prices and product description. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Coastal Scents offers eye palette (60+ shadows) under $40! They do not sell quads such as the one above, but their smallest version (the Go Palette) is a close match and under $9!

Here are the selections for the Go Palette Sets... and you can buy all 7 of them under $25!!WOW!


Image Source

This month, I received the Starry Night Collection which is a mix of two shimmers and two matte shadows in shades of gray (I believe they are part of the Cairo Palette Set). I do not usually wear grey eye shadows ( I tend to steer towards purples) but I have to say that these color are very attractive on my pale skin tone. I particularly like the top three colors:  Snow Bunny, Ash Grey and opal black, Sterling has a bit too much shimmer for me.


 
I cannot wait to try these on and let you know about their staying power. One downside - they are made in China. I am not sure of the quality, and I did find them to be a bit too powdery but we shall see!
 
 
(Malin + Goetz) - Vitamin e face Moisturizer - $45
 
 
 

 
 

 From the site: "(MALIN+GOETZ) gives our skin an ample dose of vitamins with this daily-use oil-free moisturizer. Its lightweight, antioxidant-rich formula has intensely hydrating properties and provides pH balance for all skin types, especially those with sensitive skin."

I have never heard of this brand. From the packaging, it seems to be a no - fuss - Let's focus on the product - kind of company, which is something I like. That being said, and despite the great things I heard about vitamin e as a moisturizer, $45 is a bit stiff for a bottle of vitamin e emollient! And again, that is just my opinion! Here is another sample I am taking with me on a trip out of town at the end of the month!


Sumita - Eye Base - $11



 
This is a full size product! I learned about Sumita in another Birchbox this year and I was very impressed with the sample I had received at the time (black eye liner). I felt it was an excellent quality product and I guess I should expect the same from this concealer. On my hand, it did seem to provide good coverage, it is a bit too yellow for me, but will definitely try it.
 

 
ARANGARA - Body Lotion - $24



 
So here is the deal here, I go this sample that states it is Lemon & Peach and it is totally unscented. No smell, nothing, not even soap...just unscented lotion. I am not happy because Lemon and Peach sure does sound like a great scent combo! As far as I am concerned, it better perform as a moisturizer! I can't hold Birchbox responsible for that as I do not expect them to take a sniff at all the samples. Obviously this was a manufacturer error, and sure enough, I had to be the one to get it! ah!
 
So there you have it, aside from the lack of scent in the lotion, I would say this was a great box and to boot, a better box than my August Eco Emi! Well now, that is a first!
 
Thank you for liking and sharing my post.
 
Sophia, NJ

You can find me on FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE

*This site contains affiliate advertising. I am not affiliated with Birchbox and am not compensated to review their monthly box. This is not a sponsored post.  All opinions are my own
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I like the vitamin E moisturizer. It sucks that the peach and lemon doesn't have a scent though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally does suck, I am really intrigued by the vitamin e moisturizer, the packaging reminds me of Kiel's.

      Delete
  2. Ever wanted to get free YouTube Subscribers?
    Did you know you can get these AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback and comments. If you have a question or a specific request, do not hesitate, I am here to help! Thanks, S.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover